in and around the kitchen Thermomix

Thermomix Tomato Chutney

November 2, 2013

DSC_0073

My family is condiment crazy.  My fridge tells the tale with not only one barbecue sauce, but a few, for various purposes.  Not only one mustard, but five. Not only one chutney or pickle, but about four.  One of our favourite chutney’s is the Beerenberg Tomato Chutney and last week I made my own using a recipe from the Thermomix Forum.

[yumprint-recipe id=’6′]DSC_0076

DSC_0077

DSC_0075

You Might Also Like

• Jo-Ellen May 22, 2013 at 1:00 pm

The first thing that caught my eye was your totally groovy tablecloth!! I’m going to give this recipe a go on the stove top, I think it will work? It looks delicious. I’ve also stocked up on Quinces, they have really dropped in price now, from R4.90ea to R9.00 for 6, bargain! I’m off to don my apron…

• Tash May 22, 2013 at 1:18 pm

:) The table cloth was an opshop bargain! I think it will def work on the stove – I’ve also made chutneys in the oven – in a lidded casserole dish.
      We ran out of Quince paste last month… the kids weren’t happy!

Happy Cooking

• Carlien {living in grace} May 29, 2013 at 7:14 pm

can’t wait for too man tomatoes to make this!
    ps. is that bread one of your sourdoughs? if it is, you need to teach me how to make funky looking bread!

• stills :: slow daysLittle Bit of Thyme | Little Bit of Thyme July 15, 2013 at 5:32 pm

[…] – bread and butter pickles anyone?  tomatoes scored and ready to plunge.  another batch of chutney on the go!  apple cake making with all the canned apples!  concentration… kipfler […]

• Clare August 3, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Hey
    Just made this and it is divine! A tip, don’t smell it as soon as its done. Great for clearing the sinuses!
    Thanks for the recipe
    Clare :)

• Michelle November 26, 2014 at 6:20 pm

How much does this make please??

• Tash November 27, 2014 at 7:06 am

It makes one Thermomix bowl full! (I don’t know how much that is exactly, about 4 x 250 jars? Have fun making it! It’s yum!

• Tamala January 13, 2015 at 5:42 pm

Hi Tash, how similar is this tomato chutney to the one that gets used on the egg and bacon rolls at the FRCSR Markets? I have a heap of tomatoes to use up and hubby absolutely loves those rolls and the chutney

• Tash January 14, 2015 at 1:31 pm

Hi Tamala, That one they use is the masterfoods green tomato relish. I have made this for a church sausage sizzle. It is good :) x

• Amelia January 14, 2015 at 9:39 am

Made this relish – well the TM5 did, all I can say is yum!! Straight to my favourites I think. Thank you

• Kaz F February 7, 2015 at 5:32 am

I made this yesterday for a BBQ. It was awesome. Our guests even got a take-home jar. I can’t wait for some more of my home grown tomatoes to ripen so I can make another batch. I found you through the Quirky Cooking Facebook page. Now following. :)

• Heike Herrling February 25, 2015 at 10:21 am

Oh yum! I haven’t made a chutney in ages!! Must get on to that. We too love Beerenberg’s tomato chutney, but I feel like it’s changed recently and it’s just not as good as it use to be. They fancied up the bottles and then the flavour wasn’t as great anymore. I must make a batch. Thanks for the inspiration Tash!

• A few of my favourite things :: Blog with Pip March 14, 2015 at 9:23 pm

[…] But there could be worse addictions.. right? Flowers. Any type. Any colour. Just hit me with them! Cooking with Thermie, and teaching my kids how to cook.  Blogging. Who knew I’d love it this much when I […]

• DiWalker March 20, 2015 at 6:05 pm

Thank you for providing this delicious recipe! I’ve just made it tonight in the TM5 with my surplus cherry tomatoes and it is divine.
    (I did not peel the cherry tomatoes – and the chutney has worked out deliciously)

• Tash March 20, 2015 at 6:54 pm

Oh my pleasure Di! It’s a great recipe and I love it that you don’t need to stir it constantly!

• NOLA April 18, 2015 at 1:57 pm

This has to be the best

• Claire September 21, 2015 at 8:28 pm

This sounds great. However, I don’t like sultanas (or raisins, currants, etc.) so can they just be left out without adjusting the other ingredients? Or do you have suggestions for substitution please? Thanks

• Tash September 25, 2015 at 9:23 am

Hi Claire, sorry for not getting back to you sooner! I was taking a bit of a blog break! The sultanas mellow out the tomatoes – and you don’t even taste or see them ;) I guess you could use dates!

• Anna October 6, 2015 at 2:24 pm

Great recipe… WAY to much sugar though! It’s too sweet for me. I’ll try it again with half the amount next time. Thanks! :)

• Tash October 16, 2015 at 1:01 pm

Personal taste I guess. The sugar helps preserve it, so watch out for any fermenting!

• Ginny June 5, 2016 at 7:09 pm

How long does it last in the jars and how quickly should opened jars be finished. My husband would love this but works away so don’t want it to go to waste!!

• Alison November 6, 2016 at 12:56 pm

Hi Tash,
    Made this recipe 4 times over the last couple of weeks with my crop of tomatoes seemingly unending. I’ve changed it up, as we all do, by adding dates with the onion and apples initially. The dates replace the sugar content. I’m not sure how long it keeps because it is literally walking out the door as I hand it out to everyone. So easy to make in the thermie. Just set the time and walk away. Thanks for the great post.

• Tash February 10, 2017 at 8:45 am

Oh that’s awesome Alison! Great idea to add the dates and apple. My family would love that combination as well. How great is it to not have to stir it constantly?

• Talita De Beet December 4, 2016 at 4:51 pm

Hi Tash
    It looks like a yummy recipe and would love to make this as small fillers as Christmas gifts.

How long does it last once in a jar and unopened?

• Tash February 10, 2017 at 8:43 am

It lasts for ages Talita! Sorry it took a while to reply!

• Alice September 12, 2017 at 6:05 pm

Ages – a year or so?

• Tash September 12, 2017 at 6:58 pm

It will last for at least a year if you follow correct canning procedure. It doesn’t last that long in my house!

• Margie February 2, 2017 at 5:03 pm

Absolutely delicious! My grandkids love it, in fact everyone does.I use only dextrose instead of sugar and it was luscious!

• Tash February 3, 2017 at 4:25 pm

Hi Margie, thanks for your comment. Great idea to use the dextrose!

• Amy September 4, 2017 at 11:48 am

Hi tash,
    I have some cooking away at the moment. Can you eat once it has cooled or does it need to sit for a few weeks to preserve? Thanks for the recipe!
    Amy

• Tash September 7, 2017 at 7:20 pm

Yep! It will thicken as it cools.