Do you know how you start little rituals and then just out of sheer habit you find yourself needing to do them almost every day? Baking for school lunchboxes and after school snacks is a little like that for me! Knowing that my kids have something special in their lunchboxes, made from real ingredients, not packed full of additives and colours gives me a little ‘mum high’. Keeping the menu interesting is always a challenge I set myself and so I am often browsing through my recipe books for ideas that I can use, adapt to our tastes and whip up quickly in the Thermomix.
This recipe is an adaption from one I found in a vintage Women’s Weekly cookbook and it is super quick to make. Win and win! The almonds add a great crunchy element, while the ginger adds a wonderful sweet and spicy flavour!
Almond and Ginger SliceThermomix Almond Ginger Slice
175 gr butter
90 gr almonds
125 gr glace ginger
250 gr plain flour
220 gr caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C.
- Line lamington tray or similar with baking paper.
- Melt butter in TMX. 90 deg, Speed 2, 1 min. Pour into separate bowl and set aside.
- Blitz almonds and ginger. Closed Lid, Turbo x 6. (You can blitz more, according to your preference)
- Add remaining ingredients and melted butter and mix. Closed lid, Knead for 10 seconds. Scrape down sides and repeat.
- Press into prepared tin and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Allow to cool in tin and cut into squares.