A delicious dutch slice that is always a big hit with the kids. Great for in lunchboxes as well.
Easy to whip up, and as this recipe makes more than enough for one sitting, pop half in the freezer and save for when visitors pop in. (Defrosts very quickly!)
400g caster sugar
one teaspoon each of vanilla and almond essence
500 g plain flour
2 eggs – lightly beaten (plus extra egg lightly beaten for glazing)
pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C.
- Whip the butter, sugar and essences until thick and pale.
- Add eggs and mix again.
- Finally, fold in flour and salt.
- Grease two cake tins (can be round, rectangular, square – whatever floats your boat on the day of baking!) and press half of the mixture into each tin.
- Brush the reserved beaten egg over the cake.
- Feel free to make some funky designs with a fork on the top and add a few blanched almonds.
- Pop into your preheated oven for about 25 minutes.
- Allow to completely cool before cutting up.
- Eet smakelijk!
Other Dutch delights: