faith

Sometimes the manure has to hit the fan.

September 2, 2015

fence-221405_1280 (1)

A few weeks back I wrote a post that garnered a lot of attention. It was a post that I really felt I needed to write. A post that was a profession of my faith and beliefs as well as my view on a social issue.

It didn’t go down too well. Maybe I should have expected it,  maybe I should just keep this blog about the non-controversial stuff and leave my faith out of it and just write about butterflies, unicorns and rainbows.. oh, hang on a minute, that post was about rainbows!

The shit really hit the fan that week. It splattered across a few Facebook groups I belonged to. People I had never met or even heard of felt that they could have a pot shot at me, my God, my religion, my family, my integrity.

Some people suggested I should have regretted posting what I did. But I don’t.

I think it blew up for a reason, as it got me to a point where I really needed to think about how I was doing things here and on social media. I had been feeling that I needed to make a choice on where to go with this blog for a while, and low and behold I ended up standing on that fence for a few miserable days and had to make a big decision on which side to land.

I’m on this side. The side that will continue to testify of the hope that is in me.

The fan aka rainbow incident taught me a few things:

1. I am a big girl and I need to own the words I put on my blog.
  2. People can talk about tribes and community on blogs and in blog land, but really it can be a load of horse manure and a phrase that gets shovelled around too much.
  3.  If people don’t get that my core belief is God created the world perfectly, man fell into sin so we now sin daily, God sent his Son to save us from our sin and by accepting Jesus’ sacrifice we can live with him in eternity (Ok, short version, but you get the drift, if not go here) I can’t argue a point with them, and I shouldn’t.
  4. Facebook does not protect its users. It took two days to get them to notice the fifty reports of a troll on my page. Nice going Facebook.
  5. A lot of people think they have the right to comment and yet not read my blog. Hmm.. interesting.
  6. Sometimes you lose a lot, but gain a whole lot more. The phrase ‘One door closes, another opens’ has never been more true.

And the best bit? I am ok and I am stronger because of it.

You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honour and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being. Rev 4:11

*Apologies for all the manure in this post, but I couldn’t think of another way to put it.

Image source

Have you had fence-sitting moments where you needed to make a choice on which side to land? Tell me!

You Might Also Like

• Maria September 2, 2015 at 12:39 pm

I am with you on this. I really enjoy reading your blog and your reminders about our creator and keeper of life. Some things are so in our faces all the time it is nice to get back to the basics. Thank you

• Tash September 4, 2015 at 9:35 am

My faith is quite simple to me, and I try not to complicate it. x

• Jeanette jensen September 2, 2015 at 2:38 pm

I like the side of the fence you landed on. It can be hard over here but sometimes we are pushed to pick a side. I haven’t worked out some of the rainbow issues yet (family members and such) but I know who is my Rock and my Salvation. Facebook is a,weird place where we come face to face (ha ha) with people of VERY DIFFERENT belief systems. The truth is the world rejects Jesus even though he was nailed on a cross for all of our sins.

“Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven…” Matthew 5:11,12

• Tash September 4, 2015 at 9:34 am

Thank you Jeanette, I love that verse you quote and it has been a rock for me in the past few weeks. Facebook has so many good things, yet it’s the ugly that makes me so sad! x

• Kelly September 2, 2015 at 7:51 pm

Love this post, you have definitely landed on the right side. If we’re not prepared to stand up and say what we truly believe and know, then we are cowards and not worthy to call ourselves servants of God.
    There is a great sickness in this world, a rot that has set in. We must witness and remain true, not be bullied into what we know is an empty life without hope.
    Keep fighting the good fight and God bless you :)
    Kelly recently posted…Gallipoli studyMy Profile

• Tash September 4, 2015 at 9:33 am

• Anna September 2, 2015 at 10:04 pm

I commend you for writing about what you believe in. You have worded it so well.
    To be honest, I’ve struggled with the whole subject – not what I believe in, that still stands – but just how people view my beliefs. I guess we all (those who support the marriage equality laws or not) are feeling violated and shunned for what we believe in. I wish everyone could just know that although I believe in God, my heart is NOT to beat down others with verbal abuse and push people away because of their beliefs…but to LOVE. I stand by my faith, my beliefs but I do not love others who oppose my choices or belief system ANY LESS. I choose to live my life according to my faith and in God’s will and purpose for me. I don’t understand the concept of a same-sex intimate relationship, it is not for me. But, if someone believes that it is for them, it is not up to me to judge. I am called to be obedient to God’s call for my life and to love others – I wish people could see that I am not here to fight them but to love them, just as God does. And my opposition to their life choices is not an attack on them as a person but simply that I don’t believe the same. It does not mean they are any less important or worthy of love than I; it does not make me hate them. I still care. I still love people…regardless of what colour, race, social standing, financial status, sexual orientation, religion – I choose to LOVE. That’s what Jesus would have done so I will too.

• Tash September 4, 2015 at 9:33 am

I don’t think you can beat someone down when you love and fear God. I think that is what people missed in my original post, and it really is a sad consequence of people not reading things properly. The sad reality is that we are all sinners, all not worthy. Yet we have that thing called grace, and isn’t that just fabulous. xx

• Fiona South September 2, 2015 at 10:44 pm

I have a little story that I sometimes tell about being a little, colourless, fragrance free flower who had some pretty smelly shit piled on me in life. Low and behold, when the season changed this flower grew strong and my colour and perfume reflects God’s love and care for me. None of us choose to be tossed in compost but thankfully our God is on our side. Love you heaps, Tash x

• Tash September 4, 2015 at 9:31 am

It’s a good thing I like compost and I know that God is on our side x

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers