Brown Rice has always had a bit of a bad rap in our house and I think it’s all because of the fateful day I made a horridly bland brown rice dish a few years ago. It’s always amazing how tastes get etched into our minds and we often associate them with a great memory, or a bad one.
This salad is far from bland. It’s a gem.
Little snippets of cranberries, diced capsicum, kernels of corn, roasted sunflower seeds be-speckle and bejewel this easy to whip up salad.
Bejewelled Brown Rice Salad
|Prep time||15 minutes|
|Cook time||50 minutes|
|Total time||1 hours, 5 minutes|
- 400g Brown Rice
- 1/2 Green Capsicum (finely chopped)
- 1/4 Red Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 can Corn Kernels
- 1/4 cup Dried Cranberries
- 1/4 cup Raw Cashews (Roasted)
- 1/4 cup Pine Nuts (Roasted)
- 1/4 cup Sunflower Seeds
- 1 handful Parsley (Chopped finely)
- 1 handful Coriander (Chopped finely)
- 1 handful Mint (Chopped finely)
- 2 cloves Garlic (Crushed)
- 2 Lemons (Juiced)
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- Pepper (To taste)
|Cook Rice according to packet instructions. For Thermomix; Weigh 400gr rice in basket, add 900gr of water and cook for 35 min, speed 4, 100deg.|
|Roast nuts and seeds in a dry pan till golden in colour.. but not burned! Eew.. the smell of burned nuts, not so pleasant!|
|Mix garlic, soy sauce, oil, lemon juice and pepper to form a dressing.|
|Combine rice, vegies, herbs, salad dressing and nuts in a large bowl. Test for seasoning.|
Do you have a favourite Brown Rice Recipe? Let me know!