If Quinoa is one of those ingredients that you shy away from… don’t. It’s easy to use, so versatile and very good for you.
This salad is a hit in our house. It changes as my ingredients change. So it’s never the same old salad… and I can always use the ‘it’s the first time I’ve made this so how do you know you don’t like it ?” line.
1. Cook your quinoa. I use about 100 gr per salad and this serves about 6 people. Cook in about 1 litre of water for 20 minutes. Don’t salt, do that later. Drain the quinoa and set aside till cool. If you have a thermo, use your imagination – if you are a thermovixen and have no imagination use this equation : 100 deg, put quinoa in insert, speed 3, 20 min.
2. Finely chop up any veggies you have in the fridge/ pantry and add them to the cooled quinoa. This time I used spring onion, baby cukes, capsicum and corn kernels straight off the cob (raw.. do it… it’s yum!)
You can add red onion, grated carrot, cherry tomatoes, blanched beans, pomegranate, apple, lentils, chopped dates, pistachios, chopped almonds – what ever is on hand, chuck it in!
3. Add some lemon. The zest and juice of one lemon will do, then stir it through.
4. Now your herbs and spices. Quinoa is quite bland and takes well to lots of herbs and spices and I’d recommend you stick to Middle Eastern styles. Chop up handfuls of parsley, mint and coriander. Stir them through. Now a teaspoon of each ground coriander and cumin. Season with salt and pepper. Stir through and taste. Need more spice? Add some more!
5. When it’s ready to serve, give it a healthy dose of Olive Oil – EVOO if you have it.